Here’s some dictionary definitions of the word “maverick”:
- A lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates.
- One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter. (Am.Heritage Dict.)
- A person who acts independently of his political party or group.
- A masterless person; one who is roving and casual (that’s the Shorter Oxford def.)
- One who departs from the customs and beliefs of his group. (Webster)
Does anyone else out there feel uncomfortable with the idea of having two mavericks in charge of the most powerful nation on earth?