Interested in finding out just how good your vocab is? (Alma, this one is definitely for you. If you can’t do better than me, no one can….)
Try this site:
Best of all, for every word you get right, some grains of rice are donated through the UN to help alleviate hunger. I managed to get up to level 48 (out of 50) but have not as yet managed to climb the last 2 places…
And on quite another matter, which of these books should be awarded the best of the best of the year?
* Rainbows End, Vernor Vinge (Hugo, Locus SF)
* Soldier of Sidon, Gene Wolfe (World Fantasy)
* Seeker, Jack McDevitt (Nebula)
* The Privilege of the Sword, Ellen Kushner (Locus Fantasy)
* Titan, Ben Bova (Campbell)
* Spin Control, Chris Moriarty (PKDick)
* Nova Swing, M. John Harrison (Clarke)
* The Road, Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer)
Over at the Science Fiction Awards Watch, they want to know, so hop over there and vote. My problem is that I have only read one on the list, and I definitely don’t think that should have won anything at all… I suspect it won its award because more people read it (the author being particular well-known), so it picked up more votes by default. I suspect people vote for what they know, even if they don’t read much in a particular category.