At the end of The Aware, Blaze has a dog, a marsh dog with webbed feet.
At the beginning of the second book of that trilogy, Gilfeather, the dog was still with her. Then, for a part of the story, Blaze the character was not around. When she returned to the story line, the dog was missing and I blithely wrote on to the end. Only when I went back to re-read, it struck me: what happened to the dog?????
So one of the things I had to do in the second draft of Gilfeather was bring back the dog...
Needless to say, now that I am writing the second book of this Random Rain trilogy and re-reading Book 1 at the same time, I am looking for missing dogs, cats, tics, accents, mysteriously changing eye colour and a whole heap of other stuff. Trying to keep a whole world and fifty characters straight in one’s head is, well, a headache sometimes.
So as I re-read Book 1, I am jotting down things on a white card with the title:
- Gibber rush comes twice a year
- Reduner women do not drive pedes
- Embroidery on carapace Baster pedes is red
- Burnish – inlaid with mica
- Ryka has freckles
- Pede carving – done by sons
- The piece of jasper!
- Sandmasters can take zigger water
- No ginger hair in the Quartern
- Two days ride between Scarcleft and Breccia
…and so on.
Let’ s hope this time I don’t forget the jasper. It’s important.